Recurrent C Diff – What are the causes? This is an area where research is ongoing, but here are some of the possible reasons.
New infection from a new source
They have been reinfected through another hospital contact and a cycle of sickness has started again.
Recurrent c diff – the drugs calmed it rather than killing it
The drugs previously given subdued it but did not kill it. There is some evidence that some bacteria will ‘switch off’ and go dormant in their fight against vancocin. When the balance of the intestine is disturbed again by drug treatment for another illness the latent c diff is re-activated. A new but expensive drug called Dificid kills the c difficile bacteria and is linked to low to non existent return of c diff in treated patients.
You were reinfected again in the community
Little is known about the general prevelance of c difficile in the environment and community. Figures of 3-35% who might be ‘silent carriers’ are sometimes mentioned in the scientific literature. There is also a growing body of evidence that some are suffering c difficile infections without hospital contact. The possibility of community spread cannot be ruled out.
What is the solution?
The intestine can sometimes be so disturbed by drug treatment, infection and illness that it struggles to get right. The fecal transplant method now being explored in many hospitals does suggest that healthier fecal matter can restore the intestine to balance and break the cycle of illness. Find out more
There are also some studies that suggest that people suffering from other intestinal complaints will be more vulnerable to repeat infections. Their medications may be a factor as may other changes in the gut bacteria with respect to the other condition.
More on C Difficile Treatment
- Why a C Diff Test is Important
- C Diff Diet? What to eat to aid your recovery
- Fidaxomicin (Dificid) & C Difficile
- Flagyl (Metronidazole) & C Difficile Treatment
- C Diff Fecal Transplant Therapy – 7 Key Facts
- Why do some people have recurrent C Diff infections?
- C Diff Treatment – Your step by step guide
Recent Chronic C Diff news
- Impact of Clostridium difficile recurrence on hospital readmissions. - PubMed - NCBI
- Oral microbiome drug containing bacterial spores may be effective treatment for recurrent C ...
- FDA accepts Merck’s biologics license application for bezlotoxumab
- Older Is Not Wiser, Immunologically Speaking: Effect of Aging on Host Response to Clostridium difficile Infections
- Association of healthcare exposure with acquisition of different Clostridium difficile strain types in patients with recurrent infection or coloniz... - PubMed - NCBI
- Clostridium difficile recurrences in Stockholm. - PubMed - NCBI